Castle of Poggio in Bolano
$$datasiel.heritage.label.SP$$
Comune di Bolano: Piazza Castello, 1 - 19020 Bolano (SP)
Telefono: 0187 94 171
Fax: 0187 94 17 40
Il pergolato Il pergolato La zona del Poggio La zona del Poggio

Bolano is one of the villages in the province of La Spezia where the traces of the medieval ages are more evident and meaningful: on a rock in a strategic position, on a hill opposite the point where the river Vara flows into the Magra, it gets the look of a fortified village with some gates.

The “Castello del Poggio”, of which are still visible the ruins of the tower and some remains of walls of rooms partially filled in, overlooks the village.

The project of valuing the natural and cultural resources of Liguria (Asse 4 del Por Fesr 2007-2013) considers interventions of archaeological working and the recycling of the old castle structures, the realization of a structure to receive visitors and of one for a simple pause and the didactic and workshop activity. A part of this intervention is devoted to the recycling of the rooms and entrance stairs to St. Anthony and Rocco’s, a convent devoted to house the centre for receiving and promoting culture and naturalistic and gastronomical heritage.

A little bit of history

The village of Bolano in 1185 was already named in a document that attests the presence of a castle, but in 1273 the fortress of the Poggio was strengthened by a triangular town wall, which was made to build by the bishop Enrico da Fucecchio.
Because of this set of interventions the castle could not be taken. A strategic strength that though became useless in front of the peace: in 1306 the treaty of Castelnuovo legalized the Marquises Malaspina’s possession on the country, and called a halt to the war. By the peace signed at Castelnuovo historical news of great importance come to light: it was in fact Dante Alighieri to manage and conclude the negotiations.

After this peace, the area withstood several changes of domination: in 1525, a revolt against the misrule molested the castle, too.

The next Genoese domination coincided with a long period of peace, and in the second half of the 18th century the castle, by now abandoned, was demolished because insecure.

The intervention

The project of valuing the natural and cultural resources of Liguria (Asse 4 del Por Fesr 2007-2013) considers some interventions for the recycling and the redevelopment of the castle and the system of surrounding vegetation.
In the area are considered didactic and demonstrative activities on the field, thanks to the realization of a workshop devoted to visits, which will have to be provided with structures to analyze the themes of cultivation, of working techniques and products transformation.

The intervention aims at the recycling of the old castle, following an archaeological survey of the medieval tower area.

After a phase of study, the remains will be recycled and partially covered by iron and glass structures, to be visible in a direct way.
With respect to the walls is considered the strengthening, in view of the setting up of an accessible path. They will provide for the recycling of the individual architectural parts, the realization of a receiving structure for the visitors with toilets and one structure for pause and recreational-didactic activity, with a little part devoted to workshop.

Besides this, it is considered the recycling of the rooms and the entrance stairs to the convent, devoted to house the centre of receiving and promotion of local heritage.
The optional areas will be redeveloped, and the parks and places near the complex will be fixed. By the naturalistic and environmental point of view, it is considered the arbor recycling, the realization of a naturalistic path in the green zone around the castle, with extraordinary pruning and plant thinning.

It is considered a maintenance, cleaning and new structure activity in the wood. All this to start didactical and instructive activities in the wood and in little areas used as vegetable garden or fruit garden.

Nearby

A visit to the Cinque Terre National Park is something that cannot be missed. With its 4,300 hectares, it is the smallest National Park in Italy and at the same time the most densely populated, with about five thousand residents divided between five villages: Monterosso al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore.

The landscape was greatly altered by humans over the centuries, who supported the strips of cropland in the steep slopes of the hills, the so-called ciàn, with about seven thousand kilometres of dry stone walls. It is a unique landscape which, in 1997, was included in the list of sites designated as a World Heritage Site by Unesco.

The Cinque Terre have been the refuge and inspiration for many men of letters, including the Nobel Prize winner Eugenio Montale who, in his youth, used to spend his summer holidays in Monterosso.

Oddities

The Alta Via dei Monti Liguri (A.V.M.L.) begins (or ends) in the Municipality of Bolano, to then head towards Ventimiglia, following the whole Ligurian Apennine ridge. It is an important route, that can be travelled along on foot, mountain bike or horseback, which winds along the ancient mule tracks throughout the region until the Maritime Alps and France, offering particularly striking and varied landscapes.

Mappa
Nota: Liguria Heritage freely offers services and technological tools but accepts no responsibility for entrance fees to the sites nor their direct management. Please refer to the individuals owners and managers regarding the implementation or changes to entry times, conditions of use and accessibility of the various sites.