Brandale Complex in Savona
$$datasiel.heritage.label.PF$$
piazza del Brandale - 17100 Savona (SV)
Telefono: 019 83 101
Il complesso del Brandale Il complesso del Brandale Il complesso del Brandale Il complesso del Brandale Il complesso del Brandale Il complesso del Brandale

The chief town of the Province with the same name, a large port city that has very old origins. Savona, which arose around the fortified hill of Priamar, and which was a fort even before the Romans arrived in Liguria, is brimming with proof of its Medieval past.

Two of the most important and significant buildings are Palazzo degli Anziani and Torre del Brandale (Brandale Tower). The Tower dates back to the 12th century and lies on gothic archivolts which, from the face of the Vecchia Darsena (Old Harbour), are the entry point to the historical centre of Savona. The tower holds the large bell called “A Campanassa”, which is rung to signal the most important events in the city.

The complex has a notable tourist value because of the historical-artistic importance of the building and the lapidary collection it holds.
With the natural and cultural resources of Liguria project (Level 4 of the ROP ERDF 2007-2013), the intention is to restore and develop the monumental structure.

A little bit of history

Brandale Tower, also known as Campanassa, was built around mid-1100. Its name probably derives from the fact that large fires, which acted as beacons, were lit on its highest point: the word brand, in fact, is related to fire in the Nordic languages.

Some historians have instead hypothesized that its name derives from Papa Gregorio VII Aldobrandeschi. The main tower of the 50 present in the city, Brandale was purchased by the Municipality in 1305 and became the seat of the Podestà.
In 1349 it held the bell that called the citizens to Parliament. The bell was replaced in 1668, 1919 and 1931, when the tower was returned to its original height and a new one was acquired upon the request of the citizens.

The Palazzo degli Anziani dates back to the start of the 14th century; it has 17th century façades and was the seat of the local Abbot. Today it hosts the “A Campanassa” association which nurtures local customs and traditions. The Palazzo is a type of museum with inscriptions, marble reliefs, embellishments that come from destroyed buildings in the historical centre and which date back to a period between the 13th and the 19th centuries.

The intervention

The intervention answers the requirements for reinforcing cultural tourism in the city, developing a highly potential strategic area that is positioned between the new basin and the historical centre. The recovery mainly involves dehumidification in order to eliminate the decay, but also restoration of the internal surfaces, technical and functional upgrading for better building use, removal of the architectural barriers, cleaning and restoration of the collections, and museum preparation.

Nearby

The complex is between the historical centre and the harbour, in an area that is full of infrastructures and services of a commercial, cultural, port and recreational nature. The intervention area is well equipped with parking areas, green areas (in particular around the nearby Fortezza del Priamar (Priamar Fort), and welcoming structures.

Oddities

In 1552 the tower was lowered by approximately 25 metres because it blocked the view between the fort on Priamar and the Castello dello Sperone.

Mappa
Nota: Liguria Heritage freely offers services and technological tools but accepts no responsibility for entrance fees to the sites nor their direct management. Please refer to the individuals owners and managers regarding the implementation or changes to entry times, conditions of use and accessibility of the various sites.