Fascie Palace in Sestri Levante
Corso Colombo, 50 - 16039 Sestri Levante (GE)
Telefono: 0185 47 85 30
Palazzo Fascie Palazzo Fascie Palazzo Fascie Palazzo Fascie Palazzo Fascie Palazzo Fascie La torretta di Palazzo Fascie La torretta di Palazzo Fascie

With the two splendid bays that identify it, Sestri Levante closes the Tigullio gulf to the east.
Sestri Levante, an antique marine village built between the rocky peninsula and the narrow level ground behind it, is one of the most important tourist and historical centres in the Province of Genoa.

Sestri Levante holds traces of its long history, that goes from ancient times to the Roman Segesta tigulliorum, to the Middle Ages between the Fieschi family and Genoa up to the Modern ages. Between coast and hinterland, archaeological digs have found antiquity in the settlements, villas and military structures that confirm the importance of this village, mentioned in Canto XIX of Dante’s Purgatory.

Palazzo Fascie stands out from the other houses in the very central Corso Colombo; built at the start of the 20th century (1903-1904), it is red in colour and is made unmistakable by its crenellated tower.
Inherited by the city upon the orders of Knight Vincenzo Fascie “with the sacred purpose of bringing some industrial advantages, wellbeing and progress to the city of my birth", it was used over the years as offices, the headquarters of the fascist party, offices again, and then it became the headquarters of the rich Municipal library and of Anpi (Associazione Nazionale Partigiani d'Italia - National association of Italian Partisans).

With the Development of the natural and cultural resources of Liguria project (Level 4 of the ROP ERDF 2007-2013), work on the third floor and attic will be carried out. 
In these spaces arose the Musel, the city and territorial museum, which tells the story of the integration between the environment and the human race.
The rooms speak about Sestri Levante and its hinterland by way of a trail that begins in prehistory and develops over three main themes: the city’s relationship with the sea, the tradition of ship building and urban development.

A little bit of history

Palazzo Fascie-Rossi, built around 1903-1904, was designed (according to the only document found, a photograph from that period showing the designer’s indication), by Questa, an engineer from Chiavari. Questa, who was active from the end of the 19th century, had worked on the plan for enlarging the city of Chiavari in 1894.
This architect collaborated with a company of non-local artisans, who it is supposed came from some workshop in Florence.

The palace is clearly inspired by the architecture of Coppedé and above all Castle McKenzie of Genoa, which was being built in the same period.
Even though completely foreign to the context, the Palace tower, high on Corso Colombo, is an unmistakable and strong urban sign that characterises a wide area of the civic historical centre. In spite of the splendour of the tower and the façades, the inside, above all if compared with those of Genoese palaces, shows how poor Sestri Levante was in that era.

The intervention

The palace has five floors, including the ground floor and attic. The municipal library is on the first floor, while the museum is on the third.

As part of the interventions, the flooring, plasterwork, ceilings, and roofing will be restored, as will the door and window frames and the indoor parts will be replaced, paint will be applied, the electric, lighting, heating systems and the bathrooms will be remade.
A new “protected” stair and two lifts are programmed for the structure.

The interventions on the finishing (flooring of white marble from Carrara and Bardiglio marble inserts, arenino plasterwork in the Genoese style, restoration of picture decorations, recovery of marble decorative elements) alternate with the restoration works on the main structure, alongside contemporary reinterpretations using, in the majority of cases, traditional local materials.

The intention is to add architectural value to the asset by adapting it to the new public offices.
The city of Sestri Levante has an extremely important historical and cultural heritage, which was never presented and collected in an organic manner. The aim of the intervention is to fully restore and develop a prestigious building that hosts a modern interactive museum, allowing visitors to take part in the discovery, interaction and play.


The Baia del Silenzio (Bay of Silence) opens behind the Peninsula.
It is a sandy inlet embroidered with houses and noble villas culminating with the antique Colonia Tagliaferro, which was recovered after being abandoned for years and returned to the city, the premises of events and a cultural centre.

The Danish writer Hans Christian Andersen visited the village and remained impressed by the beauty of the landscape.
The memory of the village appears in his work: “From my room” writes Andersen “I could see the gulf crowned by the mountains: the sea was calm but you could hear the din of the high billows that sounded like a weak clap of thunder in the distance”.

The Festival Andersen has been held in Sestri Levante for many years, as homage to the great story writer, and is tied to the literary prize of the same name for tales.
The Baia del Silenzio is the pulsing centre of this event, which each year at the start of summer animates the centre with shows, performances, concerts, street theatre with guests of international level: artists, musicians, writers, comedians and great journalists.

Riva Trigoso, a marine hamlet inserted between two promontories, instead hosts the Sagra del Bagnun, a typical local dish with anchovies and tomato sauce.
This dish can be tasted freely during the third week of July over the long weekend dedicated to one of the most loved fish in Liguria; this event has been continuing for more than fifty years.


In the past the peninsula was detached from the land. Forts were built on this island and, going up, you enter the oldest nucleus of the hamlet.
At the end of a steep climb, you find the church of San Nicolò, a Roman jewel from 1151. The thin isthmus of soil and sand that connects the island was formed thanks to the action of the sea and the alluvial deposits of the rivers, but only in the modern era.

Nota: Liguria Heritage freely offers services and technological tools but accepts no responsibility for entrance fees to the sites nor their direct management. Please refer to the individuals owners and managers regarding the implementation or changes to entry times, conditions of use and accessibility of the various sites.